I am continuously amazed by God's design of our bodies--especially the eye--and how the complexity and perfect ordering of functions and mechanisms hints at a divine Creator. I love learning about the eye (which is a really good thing since that's the goal of the next four year--plus my entire career!) and I wish I could tell everyone about how awesome it is so they could share in my excitement. Though I realize it isn't a huge interest of the majority of the population ;) But if you'll bear with my nerdiness, I pray you'll sense the same wonder and joy in even the smallest things in life.
Some people may think science leads you away from a Creator God, but I am proof that the opposite can be true. The more I discover about His works through scientific study, the greater awe I experience of both God and His creation. This week in Optometry School, we learned about that crusty glob we call "sleep" in our eyes when we wake up, and it is this little piece of gunk that has been on my mind all week. I never would have that God would use something so ordirnary and seemingly trivial to remind me of His faithfulness and mercy.
Ok, so this "sleep" is actually a bunch of what we call PMNs (or neutrophils - a type of white blood cell and part of the immune response). During the night when our eyes are closed, bacteria thrive because the tear film that supplies defensive agents during the day when eyes are open is not present. So these PMNs are called to the area to fight against the bacteria to prevent infection in the eye. Because of the nature of PMNs, this gunky "sleep" appears as evidence of the battle under our eyelids.
I know I sound like a nerd, but this makes me almost giddy with excitement.
Yes, you may chuckle, but just wait! :)
The reason it makes me excited is because God has used it to remind me of His constant presence in my life. He has provided the necessary means to fight off bacteria in the eye while we sleep--when we are so unaware.
How much more is He willing, ready, able, and working to fight our battles for us in life?? Though I am often unaware, God is fighting for me.
And guess what the best part is.
God WINS.
We have only to be still, trusting that He is for us, working all things for our good and His glory.
Exodus 14:14
The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.”
2 Chronicles 20:15
"...Thus says the Lord to you, ‘Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed at this great horde, for the battle is not yours but God's."
Deuteronomy 1:30
The Lord your God who goes before you will himself fight for you, just as he did for you in Egypt before your eyes..
Psalm 24:8
Who is this King of glory?
The Lord, strong and mighty,
the Lord, mighty in battle!
Proverbs 21:31
The horse is made ready for the day of battle,
but the victory belongs to the Lord.
Thanks for taking the time to read, blessings,
Karisa
I love blogs, and I love you!
ReplyDelete